1st Balkan Rural Parliamentary Meeting was held on June 26-28, 2018 in Vrnjacka Banja, Serbia as part of the European Union-funded "Active Local Regions for Economic Development of Rural Areas " project.
First Balkan Rural Parliament was bring together about 60 representatives of civil society, governments, and grass-root organisations from Western Balkan countries and Turkey, representatives of European Commission, national rural networks from all Europe, international networks and organisations and many other rural actors.Main objectives of 1st Balkan Rural Parliament are:
- to support regional and inter-sectorial cooperation of key actors for rural development of the Balkan;
- to express the voice of rural people in Western Balkan and Turkey;
- to promote self-help and action by the rural people, in partnership with civil society and governments;
- to define main recommendations about sustainable development rural communities of the Western Balkan and Turkey;
- to define main recommendations to EU institutions and national governments, related to EU integration of the region based on the regional needs and specificity of the rural areas.